Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter fun



Most of my family got together this past weekend at my parents' home--we weren't able to go, so I tried to still make it fun for the kids. Here are some pictures of us dyeing eggs with our Chinese neighbor. The kids think she's wonderful, and she even watched my kids as they slept later that evening so I could go hear my hubby teach at Challenge.



Robbie using the Res*rrection Eggs to tell the Easter story to the kids. If you don't have any, they're pretty great--there are 12 colored eggs, each telling a part of the story of Christ's death and resurrection. The kids are sooo excited each year for who will get the empty egg, representing the empty tomb.


My friend Leslie had a post last week about these ruffled skirts. She was wanting to teach a class for people who want to learn to sew, but since she lives 2 hrs away, I decided to look for the online tutorial she wrote about. Here's what I made. They're not perfect, but Miss Sarah loves them, and had so much fun helping me pick out the fabrics for them.

This is one way that she thought of to wear them--she's quite the creative dresser!


Here's one of Levi's bugs that he made when he was being babysat by another friend. He's got 4 or 5 of them hanging from his (now Sarah's) loft. Notice Sarah dressing up as a bride and looking in the mirror behind him. One day my full length mirror in our bedroom dissappeared, and since she uses it so much more than I did, I guess she can keep it!


And here are the adorable Easter baskets the kids made this year. Levi made his in school and taught the kids how to make their own. I love them--don't know how well they'll hold up in the years to come, but maybe we can come up with another idea next year. They made them similar to how you would a pinata. You blow up a balloon to the size you want, make a line across it where you want the fabric to stop, and start dipping fabric pieces in watered down glue and placing them on the balloon. We only did one or two fabric pieces thick, then let them dry and pop the balloon. Punch out holes for the ribbon with a hole punch, tie the ribbon on and you're done. Simple and sweet.


3 comments:

  1. You're all so crafty! The skirts are really cute, by the way. We missed you all over the weekend--I thought of you several times! Thanks for sharing pics of your Easter! Love, Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the skirts! You are getting so creative! I can't wait to bring my sewing machine and create a few things for Sarah together. Love-Mom H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Easter celebration looked FUN! Wish I was there with you. Sorry I missed your call, but I see you figured out the link process. My sister came up today & so my gma and uncle came over too and we had Easter dinner a day late - it was fun.

    ReplyDelete