Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

So this morning our pastor Todd inspired me to think through the next year and who I want to be/what I want it to look like. I get nervous to challenge myself because it's so easy for me to quit things when I get stressed/busy/tired/bored... But--I thought this might be a good way for me to share some thoughts and have my friends and family that read this encourage me to stick with it. Todd challenge me this morning with the question, "Will any of your commitments/resolutions have any impact 100 years from now?" (Something like that). I realize that some of these are not eternal, but I think most of them could be. Let me know what you think and please feel free to ask me how I'm doing in any of these areas.

By the grace of God, I want to:

Invite a family over for dinner at least once a month. We have people over a lot, but this would be an intentional, we want to get to know you better, type of thing. There are so many great people in our lives that we never spend time with--I want to pencil this in my calendar and make it happen.

Read the Bible with our kids each night. I'm not going to beat myself up if we miss a night here or there, but we've gotten out of the habit of this, and it's really important to us. We have so many evening things in our schedule, and it's so easy to just get the kids down as quickly as possible, but we're really missing such an important part of the day when we do this.

Have weekly "Family Night"--we started this last semester and had so much fun! The kids loved it. Any suggestions as to fun family activities in the winter would be so appreciated.

Pray for our missionary friends overseas and look for ways to encourage them. We have so many special friends giving their lives away in very difficult places, and I am horrible at remembering to pray for them. I'm trying to figure out some good reminders for myself--I may just have their names written in different parts of the house so I can pray for them as I go about my day. (on the dashboard of the van, by the kitchen sink, on our bathroom mirror, ...)

Remember the birthdays on my calendar and do something to tell them that I love them, even if it's just a phone call.

Take 2 dates each month with my honey. We got this great box of ideas for dates (ask me about it if you're interested), and both Rob and I are wanting to plan one date each month. If we can't find babysitters, we'll try to be creative and have a date at home.

Lose X pounds. I have a goal and want to work towards it. Robbie got me 2 massages for Christmas. Once I get to the halfway point, I get to use one of them, and once I get to my goal, I'll use the other. (This is my own idea, by the way--Rob knows better than to suggest such a thing!!!)

Exercise 3 times a week. This will be the hardest thing for me to do. I absolutely hate exercising. I hate sweating. I hate being sore. I can think of 1,000 things I'd rather do. Yet, I know that to be healthy, I need to be active. So...I'd love suggestions of what could be fun, cheap, doesn't take too much time, and gets the job done. My friend Jenny wants me to take up running and do a 10 k race with her and some other friends, but that just sounds horrendous. If anyone knows of any great exercise dvd, let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably stick to TaeBo or walking, neither of which I really like.

Connect with God first thing in the mornings. I am not a morning person, but my days get filled with other stuff and so often I don't really spend time learning more of His heart, reading in the Word, praying, committing my day to Him.

Dishes done before bed and kitchen counters cleared off. The counters are the real kicker--my bar top is almost always covered with school papers, craft projects, cookbooks, computer stuff, our camera and a million other things. It's the first thing I see when I walk into the great room, and it really bugs me. I would love to get a handle on our clutter and figure out how to stay on top of it.

Okay--that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of others, but if I could really do these things, it'd be a pretty successful year.

3 comments:

  1. This is very inspiring to me. I think I'm going to think through some goals for myself. I like what you said about not beating yourself up if you miss a day...but that it's more just a guideline.
    Family night idea...make s'mores in the fireplace. Maybe even set up a tent in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I will always work out with you-if it is a walk or a DVD (probably not running at this point though). Next time I see you I will lend you 2 of my favorite DVD's that I think you might like. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete