Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving in the garage

I'm stealing my sister in law's blog post and changing it a bit, because I was having a hard time getting my pics to upload. Above is my adorable 14 1/2 month old nephew--my little brother's son. He was so cute following all the "big kids" around all weekend!
So, with 26 people in my immediate family, my parents are always trying to make the most of our space when we're all together. We showed up to find two big rolls of carpet put down in the garage to have a warmer place for kids to play and eat....and sleep! There really is room in the house for the kids to sleep but it was an exciting novelty thing, I think. Nine kids (plus my parents) slept out here one night! Probably not the best night of sleep for any of them, but they sure have some great memories from it--including my dad's famous "Hopscotch" stories that he used to tell me and my siblings when we were little. He is the BEST story teller ever! And they each got an Archie comic book to keep by their pillow so they had something quiet to do after the 7:00 whistle woke them up.
No pictures of our big main meal (a yummy soup dinner with homemade bread bowls Mom made) ... and more pies than you can even IMAGINE--apple, pumpkin, cherry, raspberry cranberry, pecan, key lime, and sour cream raisin!
One morning all the men were in charge of breakfast--it was wonderful!


We had a blast with both Robbie's side and mine--of course my favorite Thanksgiving tradition with the gals in Rob's family is our Black Friday shopping. We are super structured, with it all mapped out and our lists gone over for hours on Thanksgiving day--then splitting up to get the most good deals possible! So much fun!

2 comments:

  1. That all sounds really fun and special, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that's so incredibly FUN! Carpet in the gargage- I love it!
    I wanted to slip over and see the gargage set up for this Holiday- but didn't make it over.

    ReplyDelete