Thursday, December 17, 2009

Grandma's Popcorn Balls

I made these popcorn balls tonight for Levi's class party tomorrow. I forgot how amazing they are--the perfect blend of sweetness, and salt, and buttery goodness. I wish the colors would have been a little bolder--tried to make Christmas red and green, and they're more springtime pastels, but I was trying to work quickly and didn't worry much about the color. So fun to have our Japanese friends here to help with forming the balls--they are amazing, and we're having a blast!
Here's the recipe, if anyone's interested--I could eat the whole bowl!

7 cups popped corn--I used more like 14 cups--7 didn't seem like enough. They were plenty gooey with the same amount of other ingredients.
Mix in saucepan:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter

Cook to 250 degrees, using candy thermometer. Stir the entire time. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. May add a couple drops of food coloring at this time if desired. Shape with buttered hands into balls (press pretty tightly together). Makes 12-15 large balls.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had one of Grandma Mason's popcorn balls for years! She used to make grocery sacks full of these at Christmas time. It was always my favorite Christmas treat. You did great! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh, thanks for that recipe! I've been thinking nostalgically about the popcorn balls my Grandma Teen used to make at Christmas time. I'm so done making Christmas goodies, but this is kind of inspiring. . . ;)

    ReplyDelete