Sunday, December 21, 2008

Family Christmas

I talked Robbie into letting us celebrate Christmas as a family today. We had a special Saturday evening church service last night, so today was totally free! It was amazing--I wish we had a day like this every week! We started off with the kids decorating their "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake--this is a tradition that Robbie's family always had growing up, and we love passing it down to our kids. They get to ice and sprinkle it themselves, then place the plastic nativity pieces on as Daddy reads the Christmas story. (Side note: we lost baby Jesus years ago, so we've had to substitute other pieces in the manger--one year we got desperate and used a tiny Santa Clause, but thought that was a bit sacrilegious, so we've opted to use a baby from Sarah's dollhouse.)




Then we started opening gifts--we re-gifted a couple things--here's Jas with a drum set that Lindsey L. gave Levi years ago. He hasn't stopped playing it tonight!

I made some baby doll bedding for Sarah out of her old pillowcase and crib blanket--she was tucking in her stuffed animals just minutes later. (I got a doll bed at a garage sale this summer, and it was just begging for some bedding.)

Levi was pretty excited to get an MP3 player, loaded with all his Narnia and Odyssey stories, kids worship music, Wicked and the Lion King, and tons of other music. He looks so old using it, but I think it'll get lots of use, as long as he doesn't lose it. (I'll have to do another post on his glasses!)

And finally, the cutest kids on the planet, wishing you a Merry Christmas--notice the way Levi starts singing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus! Crazy kid! Gotta love him, though!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I accidentally had the volume all the way up-loud! ;) I love these kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bed set turned out so cute!! Glad I got to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The seating arrangement on the counter is cracking me up. We loved Saturday night service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those kids, what a neat idea to do every year. Cute and lovable they look. Have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the first picture of you all in the kitchen and the one of the kids and the cake! SO CUTE! I need to learn how to add videos, too. You're SO advanced in the world of blogging, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! Thanks for sharing. I was totally lame in the picture taking department this Christmas, so there won't be much from me! Boo.

    Love it that the drum is still rolling through the family!!!

    ReplyDelete